Welcome!

This body of work began sometime in the mid 1990's, as an experiment, seeing if I could adhere a dress to a canvas and create a painting over all the textures. "Dress painting" is a term I came up with to explain these when I simply couldn't think of anything better. Over the years they have evolved, with new elements of collage being added. Dress patterns, photographs, and embroidery all appear from time to time, as well as lino block prints, rubber stamps and gold leaf. I will use this space to explore the beginnings of this series, as well as showing my latest work. If the piece is available for sale you'll find the price at the bottom. Free shipping in the U.S. Contact me at kallencole@aol.com to purchase.

Would you like to see my full website? Head over to KathrineAllenColeman.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Some days


Some days you just have to stop and regroup.  My work space has become a sea of floaty little bits of paper, wine glasses, and general crud.  I wanted to jump in the van, drive to Atlanta and buy another gallon of goo so I could keep up the momentum.  But I decided to take my own advice, save some mileage on the van, and some room on the credit card, and make do. 

So I am tidying, filing, and cleaning.  I try to keep all the lino block prints I make somewhat organised.  Although you probably wouldn't expect to find a filing cabinet in a studio, I have one.  Stuffed full with photos and text, and wads of prints somewhat organised by color, it is an unexpected, but handy tool.

Now it is time to get back out there and make more.  I am loving working on this body of work, but a larger dress piece now uses dozens upon dozens of prints.  Pulled one at a time, allowed to dry, trimmed and sorted.  The pile above, shows a bare minimum needed to have plenty of possibilities available when putting together a piece.  So rather than hopping in the van I am going to start inking and printing, and hanging prints to dry.  Just getting ready for the next big push.

No comments:

Post a Comment